The Belmont County Agricultural Society’s object and purpose shall be to promote and encourage agriculture, industry, schools, science, art, and other interests of Belmont County which the board deems proper and in the best interest of the community. The Board of Directors is responsible for the operation of the fair and for carrying out the Society’s object and purpose. We welcome any and all suggestions you have for making the Belmont County Fair one that will benefit and provide the most to all people in Belmont County and surrounding area.
The Belmont County Agricultural Society is always looking for help developing the new Belmont County Fairgrounds. If you would like to volunteer your time or services, please contact one of the Agricultural Society officers. Monetary donations may be sent to our mailing address.
Belmont County Agricultural Society Organized 1849
President – Robert Selmon, Jr.
Vice President – Ed Campbell
Secretary – Debi Ault
Treasurer – Malissa Campbell
Concessions Manager – Joseph Huml
List of Directors
Terms Expiring October 23, 2014
- Malissa Campbell 740-296-9542
- Sara Campbell 740-238-1624
- Sunny Ebright 740-238-1515
- Bryan Hull 740-310-3504
- Crystal Phillips 740-310-4456
- Robert Selmon 740-391-1120
- Mark Stephens 740-391-4332
Terms Expiring October 22, 2015
- Debi Ault 740-391-2038
- Joseph Huml 740-359-2944
- David Jones 740-391-3710
- Greg Mehlman 740-359-8608
Terms Expiring October 24, 2016
- William Arigoni 740-338-0165
- Edward Campbell 740-338-7323
- Leroy Carpenter 740-391-8218
- Sheyanna Hawkins 740-582-2748
- Becky Selmon 740-391-2853
- John Stewart 740-359-6250
- Dawn Warrick 740-296-4106
- Eileen Wise 740-484-4934
- Kevin Spears, County Superintendent of Schools
101 N. Market St.
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
- Jane Keyser, Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development
101 N. Market St., Suite A
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
- Barbara Collins, St. Clairsville, OH 43950
- William Duvall, Barnesville, OH 43713
- Nancy Gillogly, St. Clairsville, OH 43950
Department Superintendents and Committees
- Executive Committee: R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Ault, M. Campbell
- Executive Advisory Committee: Carpenter, Jones, Bob Selmon
- Building Plan and Development: R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Carpenter, Jones, Mehlman
- Building and Grounds Rentals: M. Campbell, Stephens, B. Selmon
- Campers: *E. Campbell, Arigoni
- Commercial/Concessions/Campers: Huml, Hull, Stewart
- Domestic Arts, Grange, Horticulture, Baked Goods Auction: *Phillips, Ault, Wise, Hawkins, Warrick
- Entertainment: R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Ault, M. Campbell, Carpenter, Jones, Stephens
- Grounds Superintendent: Mehlamn
- Assistants: Stephens, E. Campbell, R. Selmon, Hull
- Assistants: Stephens, E. Campbell, R. Selmon, Hull
- Junior Fair: Carpenter, M. Campbell
- Dairy Products Auction: *Mehlman, Hawkins
- Livestock Sale: *Carpenter, Jones
- Livestock Superintendent: Carpenter
- Assistants: E. Campbell, Stephens
- Beef: *Stephens, Mehlman, S. Campbell
- Dairy: *Mehlman, Stephens, Ebright
- Goats/Sheep: * B. Selmon, Carpenter, Warrick
- Hogs: *E. Campbell, R. Selmon, Stewart
- Poultry/Rabbits: *Carpenter, B. Selmon, Arigoni
- Horses: *B. Selmon, Hull
- Midway Inspectors: *Huml, R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Mehlman
- MX 213/RCX 213 Maintenance: *E. Campbell, R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Arigoni, Hull, Stewart
- Pedal Tractor Pull: Mehlman, Ebright
- Publicity: *M. Campbell, R. Selmon, Jones
- Public Safety: *R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Jones, Hull
- Secretary/Treasurer Office: Phillips, Wise, S. Campbell, Ebright, Warrick
- Security: *R. Selmon, E. Campbell, Carpenter, M. Campbell, Stephens
- Sponsorships: *Jones, Ault, Phillips, Carpenter
- Tents: *Huml, Arigoni
- Tickets/Personnel: *M. Campbell, R. Selmon, Stephens, Jones, Hawkins, Warrick
- Traffic Control/Parking: *Stephens, R. Selmon, Arigoni, Mehlman
- Truck and Tractor Pulls: *Stephens, E. Campbell, R. Selmon, S. Campbell, B. Selmon, Stewart
- Ways and Means: *Ault, Jones, Phillips, Carpenter, M. Campbell, Wise, S. Campbell, Ebright, Warrick
In addition to the the above responsibilities, Fair Board directors are to fill in when asked in any of the departments or on any of the committees listed above.
(As adopted at the Annual Meeting of the membership, November 29, 2012)
- ARTICLE I – NAME
- SECTION 1. The Society shall be known as the “Belmont County Agricultural Society”.
- ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
- SECTION 1. The purpose of this Society shall be to promote and encourage agriculture, industry, schools, science, art and other interests of Belmont County, which the Board deems proper, and in the best interest of the community.
- ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
- SECTION 1. Any Belmont County resident 18 years of age or older may become a member of this Society by paying annually the membership fee fixed by the Board of Directors. Membership certificates shall entitle the member to whom it is sold admission to the fair as the Board of Directors may determine and to vote for directors at the annual election.
- SECTION 2. No person shall pay for or secure more than one membership and that membership shall be for that person. No memberships shall be issued to any entity other than a natural person.
- SECTION 3. Membership tickets shall be placed on sale annually beginning Thursday during the preceding years county fair and shall remain on sale through the first day of the current years fair. Notice of days, hours when memberships can be purchased and the place where they may be purchased shall be announced in the annual premium list and in at least one newspaper of general circulation in Belmont County, twice during the sale, once when they go on sale and again no less than seven or more than twenty-one days before the sale is terminated.
- ARTICLE IV – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- SECTION 1. The membership shall consist of 21 and no more than 24 elected members. In addition to the elected members, the County Superintendent of Schools and an employee of the Ohio State University Extension Service shall be Ex-Officio Members. All terms for directors shall be three (3) years with one-third of the directors elected annually.
- SECTION 2. Any vacancy on the Board caused by death, resignation, refusal to qualify, removal from county or other cause may be filled by the Board until the next annual election, when a Director shall be elected for the unexpired term.
- SECTION 3. Any officer or director absent for three consecutive regular meetings may have his office declared vacant by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. Any officer or director who fails to participate in twenty five percent of additional activities may have his/her office declared vacant by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
- SECTION 4. Any director who openly or actively works in any manner detrimental to the best interest of the Society as a whole may be removed from the Board of Directors by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. The director removed from the board by a majority vote of the Board of Directors will not be eligible to seek another term on the Board of Directors.
- ARTICLE V – ELECTION
- SECTION 1. The annual election of the Board of Directors shall be held on the Belmont County Fairgrounds on Saturday during the Belmont County Fair from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. at a location to be announced.
- SECTION 2. The President of the Society shall appoint 3 judges and 2 clerks who are members of the Society, but not candidates for election, to conduct the election of directors for the Society according to the Laws and Rules as set forth by the Ohio Department of Agriculture, and to declare the results thereof.
- SECTION 3. The Annual election shall be by ballot. Ballots must be marked opposite the name of each candidate voted for.
- SECTION 4. Only members of the Society, currently residents of Belmont County and with paid memberships, may vote at the annual election.
- SECTION 5. Society members desiring to run as a candidate for the office of director must have attended at least three regular meetings of the Board of Directors during the current year. Society members must declare their candidacy for the office of director by filing with the secretary a petition signed by ten or more members of the society who are residents of Belmont County, Ohio, at least seven days before the annual election of directors is held. The official ballot shall contain only the names of the candidates who have signed the necessary petition and who have met the filing requirements to be eligible for the election as a director. Blank petitions shall be furnished by the Society and shall be obtained from the Secretary of the Society.
- SECTION 6. Notice of the election, the filing requirements for the office of director and information as to how these may be fulfilled shall be announced in the annual premium list and twice in at least one newspaper of general circulation in Belmont County, Ohio, no earlier than six weeks and no later than two weeks before the election.
- SECTION 7. The term of office of the retiring Directors shall expire and that of the Directors-elect begin at the October meeting of the Board of Directors.
- ARTICLE VI – ANNUAL MEETING OF MEMBERSHIP
- SECTION 1. The annual meeting of the members of the Society shall be held at the appropriate site in Belmont County, Ohio, at the time fixed by the Board of Directors, which date shall not be later than November 30.
- SECTION 2. At the annual meeting, the officers and directors of the Society shall make reports to the membership of the Society concerning the past fair and make recommendations for the betterment of future fairs. The members shall be given opportunity to make suggestions and recommendations for the improvement of the Society and its fair. Such other business may be presented as may be prescribed by this Constitution or as may be deemed proper by the Board of Directors.
- ARTICLE VII-ORGANIZATION AND MEETINGS
- SECTION 1. The Board of Directors shall meet immediately following the annual meeting and elect by ballot a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer to serve one year terms (beginning December 1 through November 30 each year) and until their successors are elected and qualified.
- SECTION 2. All officers shall be members of the Society. The President and Vice President shall be directors. The Secretary and Treasurer may or may not be directors.
- SECTION 3. Before the election of officers is conducted, the newly elected directors shall qualify by taking the following affirmation before a notary public: “I do solemnly affirm that I will support the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Ohio, laws of Ohio and regulations of the Department of Agriculture of Ohio pertaining to Agricultural Societies and to the best of my ability perform the duties of Director of the Belmont County Agricultural Society, so help me God.”
- ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
- SECTION l. Amendments to the Constitution and By-Laws may be proposed by: (A) A majority of the vote of Directors at a scheduled meeting voting in favor of placing amendment on the ballot or (B) Filing a petition with the Secretary of the Society at least fourteen days prior to the annual meeting of the members of the Society. Said petition must set forth a proposed amendment and be signed by not less than twenty-five members of the Society.
- SECTION 2. If an amendment is proposed, it shall be submitted to the membership of the Society at the annual meeting of the membership of the Society.
- SECTION 3. When more than one amendment shall be submitted at the same time, they shall be so submitted as to enable the members to vote on each amendment separately. Amendments shall be published in at least one newspaper of general circulation in Belmont County, Ohio, not less than three or more than ten days before they are to be voted on.
- SECTION 4. If the majority of the membership voting on the proposed amendment shall adopt such amendment, it shall become a part of the Constitution and By-Laws.
- ARTICLE IX – COMPENSATION
- SECTION 1. The compensation of Board members shall be fixed by the Board in accordance with the rules of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
- ARTICLE X – FAIR DATES
- SECTION 1. The Board of Directors shall set the dates for the annual exposition of the Society, subject to the approval of the Ohio Director of Agriculture.
- ARTICLE XI – ADOPTION OF RULES
- SECTION l. The rules governing the operation of County Agricultural Societies by the Ohio Department of Agriculture are hereby adopted.
- Article I – Quorum
- Section 1. A majority of the members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
- Article II – Meetings
- Section 1. The regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held the fourth Thursday of each month at 8:00 PM unless changed by a majority vote of directors.
- Section 2. Meetings may be held when necessary, at the call of the President or at the call of the Secretary upon the written request to Secretary by not less than nine members of the Board of Directors.
- Section 3. All members of the Board of Directors shall be notified of meetings at least two days before the meeting. The notice need not specify the purpose of the meeting.
- Section 4. All meetings of the Board of Directors shall be conducted according to Roberts Rules of Order.
- Article III – Order of Business
- Section 1. 1. Call to Order, 2. Pledge of Allegiance, 3. Roll Call, 4. Reading and Approval of Minutes, 5. Treasurer’s Report, 6. Accounts Payable, 7. Report of Committees, 8. Report of Officers, 9. Unfinished Business, 10. New Business, 11. Appointments, 12. Adjournment.
- Section 2. The order of business may be temporarily suspended at any meeting upon a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
- Article IV – Duties of Officers
- Section 1. It shall be the duty of the President to preside at all meetings of the Board, to appoint committees, and to perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
- Section 2. It shall be the duty of the Vice President to assume all duties of the President in the event of his absence or vacancy of office and to perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
- Section 3. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to: (1) Keep a list of all members of the Society; (2) Keep accurately a record of all proceedings of the Society and the Board; (3) Notify all members of the Board of the time and place of all meetings; (4) Give the members of the Society notice of the time and place of the annual meeting of the membership; (5) Keep strict account of all moneys that may come into his hands and pay the same over to the Treasurer and take his receipt therefore; (6) Make out the annual report to the Ohio Department of Agriculture and (7) Perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
- Section 4. It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to: (1) Receive all moneys and give a receipt for the same as to amounts and sources from which it came; (2) Keep a correct itemized account of all receipts and expenditures of money; (3) Countersign with the President, Vice President or Secretary checks for payment of funds by the Society; (4) verify that Treasurer’s Books are reconciled with bank statements monthly; (5) Provide monthly financial statement for each Board meeting; (6) Assist Secretary with annual report to the Ohio Department of Agriculture; and (7) Perform such other duties as are determined by the Board.
- Article V – Rules
- Section 1. The Board of Directors may enact Rules and Regulations for conducting the business of the Society as long as they do not conflict with their Constitution or By-Laws, regulations of the Department of Agriculture, or laws of the State of Ohio.